Bartlett’s Tannery was first established in 1830 in what was then called Thornton’s Corners. It was not actually in the village of Oshawa, but it was the first tannery in the district to be erected. The tannery was located on Kingston Rd. on the east side of Thornton’s Corners and was owned by Jonathan Bartlett. When Jonathan Bartlett died in 1845, the business was taken over by his brother William and William’s son Thomas. Both were successful businessmen and were soon able to buy the South Oshawa Tannery from their competitors Luke and Ash. The tannery at Thornton’s Corners came to be used only as a currying place, a place where leather was finished.
In 1836, Miles Luke established a tannery and together with Joseph Ash the business expanded. This tannery was purchased by the head Bartlett brothers a few years after the business began. After the deaths of William and Thomas Bartlett, the South Oshawa Tannery would be sold to Robson & Lauchland in 1865.