In 1873 the Oshawa Stove Company was established by a group of charitable citizens. It was located at the corner of Bruce and Charles Streets. When operation of the company began, it had 30 employees, but due to larger competition, it unfortunately did not have great success. In 1879 the company was handed to John S. Larke and in 1894 to John Bailes, after which it did not last much longer. Eventually it was sold to William Cowan and the future Fittings Ltd.
W.J. Hare Iron was another foundry located in Oshawa and was established in 1877. It was another industry that was located in the Hollow on King St. near the Oshawa Creek. In 1905, W.J. Hare Iron became Dormer and Park.